Monday, September 28, 2009

Minestrone Soup

Well, I'm on a roll with all this food - it could have something to do with the fact that work didn't schedule me this week so cooking is currently the only thing keeping me from going stir-crazy!

Tonight, the project was homemade minestrone soup. Those who know him know that Cody used to be crazy about the canned Progresso Minestrone, so I have been looking around for a good homemade recipe for quite sometime. I FOUND IT!!!

This recipe takes a bit of prep work and lots of chopping, but the end result is DELICIOUS AWESOMENESS!!! And yes, Cody loves it!

Italian Minestrone

1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 med. onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced

1/2 cup winter squash, cubed

2 stalks celery, sliced

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 cup (packed down) spinach
1 - 16 oz. can cannelini beans **
1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes w/ juice

1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

6 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup pasta spirals, cooked

1/2 cup diced zucchini
1 cup green beans, ends removed
3-4 sliced basil leaves (optional)


**It could just be the Commissary's lack of selection, but I can't find "cannelini beans" anywhere - I substituted with "Great Northern Beans" and think it turned out great!

In large saucepan, saute onion, garlic, carrots, winter squash and celery for 3 minutes. Add spinach, cannelini beans, diced tomatoes, parsley and chicken
stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a small saucepan. Add zucchini, green beans and cooked pasta. Cook until all vegetables are soft. Stir sliced basil leaves into the soup at the last minute for garnish and extra flavor.




As I said before, Cody and I love the way this recipe turned out - I have made it once before and frozen it with great success - if anything, the flavors seem to meld together more when it's served as a leftover dish!

This soup is just perfect for those cold, rainy days that German winters are known for. Be sure to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment